Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 15 minutes
1 packet (145g) Doritos Flamin' Hot Masala Flavour
2 cups vegetable oi, for frying
1 large onion
1 large egg
¼ cup buttermilk
½ cup cake flour
Parsley, finely chopped
Dipping sauce of choice
1. Open a small hole in the top seam of the Doritos Flamin' Hot Masala Flavour packet. Using a rolling pin, lightly crush the Doritos into small pieces, careful not to make them too fine.
2. Add the vegetable oil to a medium-sized pot and place it over medium heat while you prepare the onion rings. *Chef’s Tip: Place the back of a wooden spoon into the oil to test readiness. If small bubbles appear around it, the oil is ready.
3. On a clean cutting board, peel and slice the onion into 3cm thick rings. Separate the rings onto the board and set them aside until needed.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together until smooth. *Chef’s Tip: Make your own buttermilk by mixing ¼ tsp of lemon juice with ¼ cup of milk.
5. Working in batches, dip the separated onion rings into flour, followed by the egg mixture. Do this twice before placing the double-coated onion rings into the crushed chips bag. Shake the bag briefly, remove the evenly coated onion rings, and gently lower them into the hot oil. *Chef’s Tip: Place the coated onion rings into the freezer for 20-30 minutes before frying to ensure the coating doesn’t fall off when they are fried.
6. Fry the onion rings for 3-5 minutes in batches so as not to overcrowd the pot. When golden brown and crispy, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain. *Chef’s Tip: The onion rings can be baked in the oven or airfryed, if preferred.
7. Serve the onion rings on a platter garnished with chopped parsley alongside your favourite dipping sauce, and ENJOY!