Makes 1 large sausage roll
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 50 minutes
1 packet (400g) Knorrox Soya Mince Savoury Mince Flavour
½ onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium carrot, grated
½ tbsp Knorrox Stock Powder Garlic & Onion Flavour
¼ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup breadcrumbs
1 sheet (400g) store-bought puff pastry
1 medium egg, beaten
Serving suggestion: Green salad
*Microwave cooking times may vary due to wattage; use the timings below as a guide.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl combine the Knorrox Soya Mince Savoury Mince Flavour with 1½ cups of water and set aside for 15 minutes to rehydrate.*Chef’s Tip: Soya mince is a high fibre meat alternative, perfect for adding a meaty flavour to meat-free meals!
3. Heat a medium-sized oiled pot and add the onion, crushed garlic and grated carrots. Sauté until the onions become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.
4. Add the Knorrox Stock Powder Garlic & Onion Flavour, rehydrated soya mince, tomato sauce and bread crumbs. Stir until the mixture starts to form a ball then set aside to cool to room temperature. *Chef’s Tip: Knorrox Stock Powder Garlic & Onion Flavour dissolves 7x faster than traditional cubes!
5. On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 20x30cm long rectangle. Place the rolled pastry onto the prepared baking tray. *Chef’s Tip: A sturdy bottle can be used instead of a rolling pin.
6. Spoon the cooled mince filling into the centre of the rolled puff pastry. *Chef’s Tip: Ensure the mince filling does not have a lot of moisture or the puff pastry will not crisp up when baked.
7. Brush the beaten egg over the edges of the puff pastry. Fold one side of the pastry over the mince filling placing the seam on the end of the mince filling.
8. Gently roll the filled puff pastry vertically until it meets the egg washed side. Press down slightly to form a seal.
9. Ensure the sausage roll is seam-side down on the baking tray. Brush the sausage roll with the remaining egg wash and bake for 30-45 minutes or until the pastry is cooked through and golden brown. Allow the sausage roll to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
10. Serve the sausage roll alongside a vibrant green salad and ENJOY! *Chef’s Tip: Include sliced and peeled oranges to your green salad for a vitamin c boost.
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍