Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 50 minutes
1½ cups Spekko Basmati Long Grain White Rice
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp salt, to season
2 tbsp butter
½ onion, diced
1 tray (8 pieces) drumsticks and thighs
½ cup plain yoghurt
1 tbsp crushed ginger & garlic
3 tbsp curry powder
½ cup frozen peas
Serving suggestion: Plain yoghurt
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC on fan-assist.
2. Add the Spekko Basmati Long Grain White Rice, turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, butter, onion, and 3 cups of boiling water to a 30x20cm baking dish with a lid. Stir the ingredients until combined and set aside. *Chef’s Tip: Spekko rice is naturally gluten-free!
3. In a large bowl, add the chicken, yoghurt, ginger and garlic, curry powder, and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and coat the chicken well in the seasoning. *Chef’s Tip: Cover and marinade overnight for more tender & flavourful chicken!
4. Carefully place the chicken, spaced out, over the rice.
5. Cover the dish with a lid and bake for 40 minutes to ensure the rice absorbs the liquid. *Chef’s Tip: Alternatively, cover the dish with foil!
6. Remove the lid and sprinkle the frozen peas over the dish. Bake for a further 10 minutes, uncovered, until the chicken turns golden brown and the rice is cooked.
7. Once cooked, use a fork to gently fluff the rice. Garnish by drizzling plain yoghurt and sprinkling freshly chopped coriander over the dish. Serve and ENJOY!