Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour
1 tin (400g) Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
1½ cups brown rice
1 tsp each salt and pepper, to season (optional)
1 packet (250g) frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C on fan-assist.
2. Remove the pilchards from the Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce tin and reserve the sauce until needed. Carefully remove the bones from the pilchard fillets using a fork and set aside until needed. *Chef’s Tip: It is not necessary to remove the bones as they are safe to eat!
3. In a 20x30cm baking dish with a lid, add brown rice, optional salt, and 3 cups of boiling water. Cover the baking dish with a lid and cook for 45 minutes until the rice is tender. *Chef’s Tip: Use leftover cooked rice if preferred!
4. When the rice is tender, remove the baking dish from the oven and remove the lid. Using a fork, gently fluff the rice in order to separate the grains.
5. Add the reserved tomato sauce from the tin, optional pepper, frozen vegetables, and 1 cup of cheese to the cooked rice. Stir until combined. Add the prepared pilchards to the dish and stir ensuring not to break the pilchard fillets.
6. Top the dish with the remaining 1 cup of grated cheese and bake for about 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and lightly browned.
7. Carefully remove the bake from the oven. Garnish generously with freshly chopped parsley. Serve with coleslaw and ENJOY!