Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Hands-off time: 20 minutes
1½ cups Yum Yum Caramel Dreams Caramel Peanut Spread
1 cup double cream plain yoghurt
½ tsp salt (optional)
2 cups self-raising flour
1 slab (80g each) melted white chocolate
2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. Add ½ cup of Yum Yum Caramel Dreams Caramel Peanut Spread to a microwave-safe mixing bowl. Heat the spread in the microwave for 10-20 seconds or until softened and melted. We used a 1000-watt microwave.
2. When softened, add the double cream plain yoghurt, salt, if using, and sieve in the flour. Use the back of a spoon to mix until a dough has formed.
3. Tip the dough onto a clean and floured counter and knead the dough for 6-8 minutes. Cover the dough with the microwave-safe bowl and allow it to rest for 8 minutes.*Chef’s Tip: Knead the dough until smooth and soft.
4. In the meantime, heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. *Chef’s Tip: Dip the back of a wooden spoon into the oil; when tiny bubbles start forming, the oil is ready.
5. Roll the dough into a 3-5cm thick sheet. Use a wide-rimmed glass to cut the dough into about 15 circles. Carefully lower the dough into the hot oil using a large spoon and fry for 5-6 minutes a side or until the doughnuts are golden brown and have risen. Lay the fried doughnuts onto a plate lined with a paper towel to drain the excess oil. Allow to cool. *Chef’s Tip: The doughnuts can be baked or airfryer at 180°C, if preferred!
6. Heat the remaining Yum Yum Caramel Dreams Caramel Peanut Spread in a small microwave-safe bowl for 10-20 seconds until melted.
7. Carefully dip the tops of each doughnut into the melted peanut spread and arrange it on a platter.
8. Pour the melted chocolate into a resealable bag and snip off a small hole from the corner. Neatly draw a cross onto each doughnut, creating the hot cross bun design. Serve the doughnuts immediately, and ENJOY!