Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 40 minutes
2 ½ cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup double cream yoghurt
½ tsp salt, optional
1 ½ cups (345g) Flora Plant BUTTER™️, soft
1 large lemon, zest and juice, plus extra zest for garnish
1 cup icing sugar
½ tub (115g) cream cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a medium-sized 26x20cm baking dish with baking paper.
For the dough:
2. Add the sifted self-raising flour, salt (if using) plain yoghurt and ½ cup of the Flora Plant BUTTER™️ to a large mixing bowl. Mix with a spoon until a dough starts to form. *Chef’s Tip: Flora Plant BUTTER™ is an excellent source of plant-based oils!
3. Tip the dough onto a floured counter and knead for 8 minutes or until the dough forms a smooth texture. When smooth, cover the dough and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Add ½ of the zest, ½ cup icing sugar and ½ cup plant-based butter to a small mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
5. Roll the rested dough into a large rectangle about 1-2 cm thick. Evenly spread the lemon filling mixture onto the surface of the dough. Roll the dough into a tight log before cutting the log into 8-10, 5 cm thick rolls.
6. Arrange the rolls into the lined baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and beautifully risen. Remove the baked rolls from the oven and allow them to cool.
For the frosting:
7. In the meantime, add the second half of the zest, all the lemon juice, remaining ½ cup icing sugar, ½ cup plant-based butter and cream cheese to a medium mixing bowl. Use an electric beater to beat the mixture until smooth.
8. Remove the buns from the baking dish and allow them to cool for about 15 minutes. Spread the cream cheese frosting over the buns before serving, garnish with some extra lemon zest, and ENJOY!