Makes: 24 Hands-on time: 15 minutes Hands-off time: 6 hours
½ cup NESTLÉ Cremora Original 1½ cups cake flour 2 tsp baking powder 2 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp table salt ½ cup light brown sugar ½ cup (115g) oil 2 XL eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a bread loaf tin (21.5x11.5cm).
2. In a medium bowl, combine the NESTLÉ Cremora Original with ⅔ cup of warm water and mix until smooth and lump-free. Set aside to cool completely.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, sieve together the cake flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. Into the bowl with the cooled Cremora mixture, whisk together the light brown sugar, oil and eggs.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together to create a cake batter.
6. Pour the batter into the bread loaf tin and bake for about 60 minutes, or until golden on top and skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. *Chef’s Tip: When the batter pulls away from the sides of the pan, it is ready.
7. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, turn out of the bread loaf tin onto a cooling rack and allow to further cool until room temperature.
8. Slice into 24 rusk-sized portions. Arrange the rusks on a baking tray, with space between them to allow for air circulation. *Chef’s tip: Place the rusks on a cooling rack over a baking tray to create airflow while saving space.
9. Dry the rusks out in a 90°C oven for 4-5 hours, with the door slightly ajar, turning frequently. *Chef’s Tip: Wedge a wooden spoon between the oven and oven door to help keep it slightly open.
10. Cool completely over a cooling rack before storing in an airtight container. *Chef’s Tip: The stored rusks can last for up to a month at room temperature.
11. Serve these Milk tart rusks with tea and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍