Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Hands-off time: 30 minutes
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup double cream plain yoghurt
½ tsp salt (optional)
Oil, for shallow frying
½ cup castor sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 cup (250g) Nutella Ferrero Chocolate Spread
Rooibos tea with lemon
1. Sieve the flour and gently fold in the yoghurt and salt with a spatula until the mixture forms a dough.
2. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and knead by hand for 5-8 minutes. If too sticky, add more flour, a little at a time, while kneading.*Chef’s Tip: If you have a stand mixer with a dough attachment, simply knead the dough with it for 3 minutes!
3. Divide the dough into 25 R5 coin-sized balls and roll each between the palms of your hands until smooth and rounded. Line them up on a floured surface.
4. In a medium-sized pot, heat 4cm of oil until a wooden spoon inserted in the oil has tiny bubbles forming around it.
5. Gently lay the balls of dough into the oil, a few at a time ensuring not to overcrowd the pot. Cook them until golden brown, about 5 minutes on either side. Once crispy, drain the excess oil from the doughnuts on a plate lined with paper towel. *Chef’s Tip: Alternatively bake the doughnuts in the oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
6. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the castor sugar and ground cinnamon.
7. Roll the doughnuts through the cinnamon-sugar mixture while they are still hot.
8. Fill a reusable plastic bag with the Nutella Ferrero Chocolate Spread and push it down towards one corner of the bag. Snip a 1-2cm hole in the corner of the bag to create an opening. *Chef’s Tip: A piping bag can be used instead!
9. Stuff each doughnut with about 2 teaspoons of Nutella Ferrero Chocolate Spread, filling until the doughnuts feel heavy. *Chef’s tip: Use a skewer to help create a hole before piping.
10. Serve the doughnut bombs piled on a platter alongside a cup of lemony rooibos tea and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍