Makes 12 INGREDIENTS 3½ cups self-raising flour ½ cup brown sugar ½ cup raisins 1 tsp allspice ¼ tsp salt 1½ cups double cream yoghurt ½ cup icing sugar ½ cup (140g) Nutella Ferrero Chocolate Spread 1 egg, beaten METHOD 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a rimmed baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sieve 3 cups of flour into a large bowl. Add in the brown sugar, raisins, allspice and salt and stir to combine.
3. Spoon the yoghurt into the flour mixture and fold together with a spatula until the mixture forms a dough.
4. On a floured surface, knead the dough by hand for 8 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour, a little at a time, while kneading until smooth.
5. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each dough ball gently into a smooth ball, place them onto the prepared tray and brush the tops with the beaten egg. *Chef’s Tip: Allow the shaped dough to rest for 10 minutes to ensure that they rise slightly.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining flour with 5-6 tablespoons of water to form a smooth paste. Spoon the paste into a piping bag with a small nozzle and pipe alternating lines over the dough balls to create the top cross. *Chef’s Tip: If you don’t have a piping bag, add the paste to a resealable plastic bag and cut a small hole off one corner.
7. Bake the hot cross buns in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.
In a small bowl, whisk together the icing sugar and 4 tablespoons of water to create a smooth glaze. Brush the glaze over the top of the warm hot cross buns.
8. Spoon the Nutella Ferrero Chocolate Spread into a piping bag with a medium round nozzle. Pipe the Nutella into the centre of the hot cross buns from underneath. *Chef’s Tip: Use the tip of the nozzle to create a hole in the bottom of the hot cross buns.
9 Arrange the hot cross buns on a serving platter, serve and ENJOY!
Planning to try this? If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍