PAP & WORS CAKE
3 cups White Star Super Maize Meal
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
2½ cups grated cheddar cheese
2 onions, sliced
¾ tin (305g) curried tomato and onion mix
Chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a round springform cake tin.
2. Prepare a stiff maize meal by combining the White Star Super Maize Meal with 6 cups of water in a large pot. Add the salt and bring to the boil while stirring.
3. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and allow to cook for about 25-30 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes and add a dash of water if too dry.
4. Remove the cooked maize from the heat and stir the butter and 1½ cups of cheese through until melted and well combined. Press ¾ of the maize into the greased cake tin and up the sides.
5. Coil the sausage into a round and pierce it at right angles with 2 skewers to hold the shape in place. *Chefs Tip: This makes the boerewors easier to flip when frying!
6. Heat a large oiled frying pan over low heat. Add the boerewors coil and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until well browned. Remove the skewers from the boerewors coil and set aside to cool.
7. Sauté the onions until softened and caramelised. Allow to cool.
8. Lay the caramelised onions in an even layer over the maize crust. Carefully lay the sausage coil over the onions. Pour the tin of curried tomato and onion mix over the top of the sausage and spread to form a layer. *Chefs Tip: Store the remaining tin of tomato mix in the fridge for 2-3 days.
9. Spoon the remaining maize over the tomato sauce layer and press firmly until smooth. Sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheese.
10. Bake the maize cake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden on top and firmly set.
11. Transfer the maize cake to a cooling rack and allow it to stand for 10 minutes before removing it from the cake tin and onto a serving board. Slice into generous portions.
12. Serve with chakalaka, garnish with chopped parsley and ENJOY!
SPICY BEAN & BOERIE PAP PIES
2 ½ cups vegetable/chicken stock
1 cup White Star Quick Maize Meal
1 tbsp butter
1 tin baked beans
1 tin hot & spicy chakalaka
Salt & pepper
1 egg, beaten
For the maize meal crust:
1. Bring 1½ cups of stock to the boil in a medium pot.
2. Mix the remaining 1 cup of stock with 1 cup of White Star Quick Maize Meal to form a paste. Gradually add the maize meal paste while stirring, using a whisk. Cover with a lid.
3. Bring to the boil and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and add the butter, salt and pepper.
For the spicy bean and boerie filling:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease 4-6 mini ramekins.
2. Add the boerewors to a hot pan and fry until cooked and browned. Allow to cool slightly before slicing into bite-sized pieces.
3. In a large bowl, combine the baked beans with the spicy chakalaka. Stir the boerewors through the bean mixture gently. Season to taste.
1. Split this mixture into the ramekins and top with the pap mixture. Brush the tops with the beaten egg.
2. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a golden and a crispy crust has formed.
3. Top with fresh parsley, serve warm and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍