Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 50 minutes
3 large apples, peeled
3 cups Huletts® Treacle Sugar
1 tsp ground mixed spice
½ cup plus 1 tbsp (130g) butter, melted
1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
2 large eggs
1½ cups milk
1¼ cups self-raising flour
Vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and lightly grease a large-sized rectangular baking dish, 32cmx24cm, with non-stick spray.
2. Halve the apples and remove the core. Slice the halves into 3cm thick slices. *Chef’s Tip: The crispy, tart Granny Smith apple is the perfect apple to use for this pudding!
3. Add the sliced apples, 1 cup of the Huletts® Treacle Sugar and ½ teaspoon of mixed spice to the prepared baking dish. Stir the apples until evenly coated. *Chef’s Tip: Treacle sugar adds a decadent caramel flavour to the pudding.
4. Pour ¼ cup (56g) of melted butter over the apples and set the dish aside until needed.
5. To a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of treacle sugar, ½ teaspoon mixed spice, ⅓ cup of butter, apple cider vinegar, eggs and ½ a cup of milk. Whisk until well combined.
6. Sieve in the self-raising flour and whisk until a pudding batter forms. Gently pour and spread the batter over the arranged apples and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pudding is golden brown and just baked through.
7. In the meantime, mix the remaining 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of treacle sugar in a microwave-safe measuring jug. Microwave the mixture for about 1 minute until just hot, stirring in between until the sugar has dissolved. *Chef’s Tip: We used a 2800 Watt microwave.
8. Remove the baked pudding from the oven and immediately poke holes in from the top using a skewer or sharp knife. Pour the warm microwaved milk mixture over and allow the pudding to soak it up for 5-10 minutes.
9. Serve the warm pudding with a scoop of ice cream, garnished with a mint sprig and ENJOY!