Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour 45 minutes
1 cup IMBO Samp & Beans
3½ cups vegetable stock
½ cup cream
1 tin (410g) mild chakalaka
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup (125g) grated cheddar cheese
Roasted chicken drumsticks
Green leafy salad
1. Rinse the IMBO Samp & Beans. Place in a medium sized pot with 3 cups of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to soak for 60 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
3. Drain the water from the soaked IMBO Samp & Beans. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid tilted for 1 hour or until the stock has been absorbed and the IMBO Samp & Beans are soft and tender. *Chef’s Tip: Great for using leftover samp & beans!
4. Add the cream, chakalaka and frozen vegetables. Stir to combine and allow to simmer for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove the pot form the heat and stir in half of the grated cheese. *Chef’s Tip: Add some cooked bacon bits for a non-vegetarian option!
5. Transfer the mixture to a medium sized baking dish (26x20cm) and sprinkle the remaining grated cheese on top.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
7. Garnish the samp & bean chakalaka bake with some chopped parsley. Serve with roasted chicken drumsticks and a green salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Samp & Bean Chakalaka Bake