For the chocolate cakes:
350g caster sugar
6 large eggs
½ cup milk
300g self-raising flour, sifted
100g of cocoa, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the vanilla icing:
3 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
1 to 2 tbsp milk
All Sorts Original – 400g pack
All Sorts Mini – 150g pack
All Sorts Liq-O-Dots - 150g pack
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Lightly grease 2 round cake tins with a little extra butter and cut a piece of non-stick baking paper to fit the base of the tins.
3. Put all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or a hand-held mixer for 1 minute, or until just combined. It's important not to beat the batter too much - just long enough to make it smooth.
4. Pour or spoon the mixture into the tins, smooth the tops and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 45-50 minutes.
5. The cake is cooked when it looks well risen and golden; the top should spring back when lightly touched with a fingertip.
6. Let the cake sit in the tins for 5 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edge and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool.
7. For the icing. Mix icing sugar and butter with a spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
8. Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time.
9. Cool for 15 minutes, then spread over the top of the cooled cake.
10. Using All Sorts decorate the cake in a Shweshwe pattern using original All Sorts, mini All Sorts & Liq-O-Dots. ENJOY!