Single-Serve Chicken à la King Pies
1 tbsp oil
3-4 SPAR Select Chicken breasts, cut into 2cm cubes
½ punnet (250g) SPAR Freshline White Mushrooms, sliced
2 SPAR Freshline Green Peppers, cut into small cubes
2 tbsp butter
½ onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves SPAR Freshline Garlic, crushed
2 tbsp cake flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup cream
Salt and pepper, to season
1 sheet (400g) SPAR puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
Spring onion, sliced
SPAR Freshline Herb Salad
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. To prepare the chicken à la king, heat the oil in a pan and fry the SPAR SELECT Chicken cubes for about 2 minutes until golden. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
3. Turn the heat down to medium and sauté the onions and SPAR Freshline White Mushrooms in butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the SPAR Freshline Garlic and SPAR Freshline Green Peppers and fry for another 3 minutes or until tender.
4. Stir in the cake flour and mix well. Add the chicken cubes, stock and cream and allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 5-10mm thick. Using a medium cutter or small bowl, about 8-10cm across, cut out 10 circles.
6. Place half the circles on the baking tray. Prick the centre of the surface with a fork and brush lightly with the beaten eggs. Cut a hole in the centre of the remaining 5 pastry rounds, using a smaller pastry cutter or drinking glass (about 4-6cm in diameter) to make rings.
7. Carefully arrange the rings on top of the pastry discs on the tray and brush with more egg wash. *Chef’s Tip: The inner circles can be frozen for another time.
8. Place the tray in the freezer for 30 minutes to ensure the pastry holds shape when baking.
9. Bake the pastry cases for about 10-15 minutes until puffed up, crisp and golden.
10. Spoon a generous spoonful of the chicken à la king into the pastry cups and garnish with sliced spring onion. Serve with a dressed SPAR Freshline Herb Salad and ENJOY!