For the bean balls:
3/4 cup IMBO kidney beans
½ tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ onion, diced
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tbsp tomato paste
¼ cup rolled oats
Salt & pepper to taste
For the sauce:
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tin tomato puree
1 cup vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1 handful of basil leaves, chopped
¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese, to garnish OR parmesan shavings
Fresh basil leaves to garnish
1. Pour the kidney beans into a pot, cover with water and boil for 5 minutes.
2. Switch off the heat and allow the beans to soak for an hour in the boiling water.
3. Drain the beans and refill the pot before bringing to the boil and cooking until soft. About 40 – 50minutes. Drain the beans once cooked.
4. Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
5. Put the beans in a medium bowl and mash them well with a fork.
6. In a medium pan, heat some oil and sauté the onions for 3 minutes.
7. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
8. Add the sautéed onion and garlic to the mashed beans together with the spices, tomato paste and oats. Season with salt and pepper. Form about 6-7 balls.
9. In a medium pan, heat some olive oil over a medium heat and gently roast the bean balls for about 4 minutes until they are golden. Set aside.
10. Sauté the chopped onion and garlic until translucent then add the tomato puree, vegetable stock and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
11. Add freshly chopped basil, add the bean balls back to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes just before serving with the cooked spaghetti.
12. Top with grated mozzarella or parmesan shavings & more fresh basil.