SPICY BOERIE BREKKIE PIE
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 35 minutes
1 roll (400g) puff pastry, thawed
7 large eggs, room temperature
2 tbsp TABASCO® Red Pepper Sauce
¾ tub (172.5g) plain cream cheese, room temperature
100g cooked boerewors, sliced
½ cup sliced mushrooms
10 baby tomatoes
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
TABASCO® Red Pepper Sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C using the fan-assisted setting. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Unroll the pastry and place it on the lined baking tray.
3. Crack one of the eggs into a small bowl and whisk. Brush the whisked egg evenly over the pastry.
4. Using a sharp knife, gently score the edges of the pastry without cutting all the way through, leaving a 3cm wide border all around. Using a fork, lightly prick a few holes in the centre of the pastry.
5. Bake the pastry for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes while preparing the toppings.
6. Lower the oven temperature to 160°C.
7. Using your hands, gently press down the center of the puff pastry, ensuring the borders are still puffed.
8. Mix the TABASCO® Red Pepper Sauce and cream cheese together until combined and evenly spread the mixture over the cooled pastry, without going onto the border.
9. Scatter the cooked boerewors pieces, mushrooms and baby tomatoes on top. *Chef’s Tip: Great for using leftover boerie!
10. Break an egg into a small bowl and pour onto the tart. Repeat with the rest of the eggs. *Chef’s Tip: Fresh eggs work best!
11. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
12. Bake the pie on the bottom shelf for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking and the cheese has melted.
13. Garnish with some fresh basil leaves and cut the brekkie pie into portions. Drizzle over some more TABASCO® Red Pepper Sauce. Serve with some fresh orange juice and ENJOY!
SPICY EGG & BOERIE FRY-UP
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 15 minutes
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
¼ cup TABASCO® Sriracha Sauce
2 tins (400g each) chopped tomatoes
1 tsp each salt and pepper
6 large eggs, room temperature
1 round feta cheese, crumbled
Ciabatta toast, buttered
TABASCO® Sriracha Sauce
1. In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Slice down the middle of the boerewors casing and remove the boerewors sausage. Add the boerewors to the pan and break up into small bits with a wooden spoon.
3. Fry the boerewors mince for 5-6 minutes or until the meat is lightly browned. *Chef’s Tip: Great for using leftover mince!
4. Add the chopped onions and fry for a further 4-5 minutes until cooked.
5. Pour in the TABASCO® Sriracha Sauce, tinned tomatoes, salt and pepper. Mix until combined. Gently simmer the sauce for 8-10 minutes until slightly thickened.
6. Crack an egg into a small bowl. Using a large spoon, make a small well in the sauce and gently slide the egg into the well. Repeat with the rest of the eggs. Cover the pan with a lid and cook the eggs for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a further 3-4 minutes for soft yolks or until the eggs are done to your liking.
7. Drizzle some TABASCO® Sriracha Sauce on top and add the crumbled feta.
8. Garnish the spicy boerie & egg fry-up with some chopped parsley. Serve with buttered ciabatta toast and orange juice and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Spicy Egg & Boerie Brekkies 2 Ways