1 cup IMBO brown lentils
1 cup IMBO split peas
3 tbsp olive oil for frying
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder
Salt and pepper to taste
8 cups vegetable stock
1 pack of bacon, diced
French loaf, sliced
1. Rinse lentils and split peas until the water runs clear.
2. Brown onion in olive oil, once browned add the celery, carrots and garlic. Once browned, add turmeric, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper.
3. Stir to coat the vegetables before adding the drained grains and vegetable stock.
4. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 60 minutes.
5. Spread diced bacon evenly on a tray. Grill at 180 degrees Celsius until crispy.
6. Using a handheld blender, blend the soup until smooth.
7. Top bread slices with grated cheese and place on top of the soup. Place the bowl into the oven and allow the cheese to melt.
8. Once ready, serve the soup with crispy bacon pieces, a sprinkling of paprika and ENJOY!