The Best Ever SA Style Crunchies
Serves: 12 - 15 squares
For the Crunchies:
2 cups Bokomo Traditional Oats
1 cup cake flour, sifted
1 cup desiccated coconut
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1-2 tbsp golden syrup / honey
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Preheat the oven to 180 and line a medium baking dish with baking paper (20 x 30 cm).
2. Mix all of the dry ingredients (except the baking soda and sugar) together in a large bowl.
3. In a medium saucepan, on a low heat, melt the butter and add the golden syrup and sugar.
4. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts boiling. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
5. Mix the baking soda into the milk until completely dissolved.
6. Add the cooled butter mixture and the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
7. Press the crunchie mixture firmly into the lined baking dish – making sure to smooth out the top. (Chefs tip: Make sure you are using the correct size dish. There is no real size rule, however if the crunchie layer is too thick, you won’t get the signature crunch and if it’s too thin, the sugar will burn. We’d recommend that your crunchie mixture is +/- 2cms high in the dish.)
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Rotate pan after 16 - 18 minutes. Keep an eye on them; if browning too quickly cover loosely with foil. And/or turn the oven down to 160 for the last five to ten minutes of baking.
9. Remove from the oven. Cut into equal squares, using a serrated knife, while still warm.
10. Allow to cool completely and firm up slightly before removing from the dish and ENJOY! (You might have to carefully run the knife through the cuts again before removing them.)