Hands-on time: 5-10 minutes
Hands-off time: 15 minutes
For the super simple rice spice:
4 tbsp dried chilli flakes
4 tbsp mixed herbs
5 tbsp chicken spice
4 tsp dried garlic
For the one pot rice:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp super simple rice spice
1 tin Lucky Star Pilchards in tomato sauce
1 tin Lucky Star Baked Beans in tomato sauce
3 cups pre-cooked or leftover rice
1 tsp salt and pepper
1. To a small spice jar add all the super simple rice spice ingredients, close the jar and shake to combine them.*Chef’s Tip: The homemade seasoning pairs perfectly with Lucky Star Pilchards.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a medium-sized pot and add the chopped onions, 1 teaspoon of the super simple spice for rice and sauté until the onions are translucent.*Chef’s tip: Store the jar of leftover homemade seasoning for up to 2 months.
3. Add the tin of Lucky Star Pilchards in tomato sauce, the tin of Lucky Star Baked Beans in tomato sauce and the pre-cooked or leftover rice. Add ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper, stir until the ingredients are just combined and cover the pot and allow it to simmer for 4-5 minutes. *Chef’s Tip: Lucky Star Pilchards can be deboned if preferred.
4. Serve the rice in a serving bowl with a sprinkling of freshly chopped coriander alongside a green salad.
5. Squeeze over a lemon wedge and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍
Twice-As-Nice Spiced Rice