Rainbow Mushroom Burger
For the bean patty:
½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
1 cup IMBO small white beans
1 tsp Italian mixed herbs
½ cup finely grated cheese
¼ cup spring onion, sliced
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
For the burger:
8 Portobello mushrooms
Olive oil for frying
Red onion, sliced into rings
Yield: 4 burgers
1. Pour the small white beans into a pot, cover with water and boil for 5 minutes.
2. Switch off the heat and allow the beans to soak for an hour in the boiling water.
3. Drain the beans and refill the pot before bringing to the boil and cooking until soft. About 40 – 50minutes. Drain the beans once cooked.
4. Put the oats in a food processor and pulse three to four times to roughly chop. Add half of the beans and pulse again until a coarse paste forms. Add the egg, Italian herbs, and salt. Process about 1 minute.
5. Transfer the puree into a bowl and fold in the remaining beans, cheese, spring onion and basil.
6. Lightly oil a plate and with wet hands, form the mixture into 4 patties.
7. Place the patties on the oiled plate and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes until the set.
8. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add portobello mushroom caps and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
9. Remove patties from refrigerator, fry each pattie until they are browned and have formed a nice crust about 2-3 minutes. Carefully flip the burgers and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes until the patties feel firm to the touch.
10. Assemble the burgers, top a mushroom cap with crisp lettuce, red onion rings, a tomato slice, bean patty, beetroot hummus, avocado slices & carrot ribbons.
11. Top with the second mushroom cap and sprinkle with sesame seeds & ENJOY!