Makes 1 loaf
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Hands-off time: 35 minutes
½ cup melted unsalted butter, plus extra for glazing
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 small tub (175g) plain yoghurt, room temperature
1 cup cake flour
¾ cup yellow maize meal
½ tsp salt
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Serving suggestion: Braaied boerewors and salad
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a loaf tin with non-stick cooking spray and line with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar and honey. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Stir in the yoghurt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, maize meal, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in batches and stir with a spatula until only a few lumps remain. *Chef’s Tip: For extra colour and flavour stir in some finely chopped herbs, chillies, cooked chopped bacon or crispy onions.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared tin, smooth out the top with a spatula and set aside for 3 minutes.
6. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the top is golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. *Chef’s Tip: If after 20 minutes the bread is browning too quickly then cover with foil.
7. Remove the bread from the oven and brush with 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
8. Cut into thick slices and serve warm with some boerewors and a salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍