Serves 6 Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour 20 minutes
1 cup Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Long Grain White Rice 1½ tsp salt, to season
⅓ cup full cream plain yoghurt
2 large eggs
1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
½ tsp pepper, to season
1 tbsp oil
1 pack (500g) boerewors
⅔ tin (260g) mild chakalaka
Serving suggestion: Fresh coriander sprigs
Roasted sweet corn on the cob
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 23cm springform cake tin with non-stick spray and line the bottom with baking paper.
2. Place the Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Long Grain White Rice in a medium pot, cover with 2 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium heat, cover and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. Set aside to cool.
3. Add the yoghurt, eggs and 1 cup of cheddar cheese to the cooled rice. Season to taste with the remaining salt and pepper and mix well.
4. Spoon the rice into the prepared tin and press it down, compressing it into a cake-like shape. Bake for 20 minutes or until just lightly golden and starting to crisp up.
5. Coil the sausage into a round and pierce at the right angles with a skewer to hold it in place. *Chef’s Tip: This makes the boerewors easy to flip when frying!
6. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat. Add the boerewors coil and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until well browned. Remove from the heat.
7. Spoon the chakalaka over the rice base, spreading evenly to cover. Remove the skewers from the boerewors coil and arrange the boerewors on top of the chakalaka.
8. Generously top the boerewors with the remaining cheese. Return the cake tin to the oven and bake for a further 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly and set for about 15 minutes before removing from the tin. Slice into 6 even portions.
10. Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs. Serve with a salad and sweet corn on the cob and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍