Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 35 minutes
½ cup (100g) Spekko Long Grain Parboiled White Rice
2 tsp salt
1 pack (200g) diced bacon
2 tbsp chopped chives
6 large eggs
½ cup cream
½ tsp pepper
2 rounds of feta cheese, crumbled
1 large avocado, sliced
Serving suggestion: Rocket Salad
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a round quiche dish (24cm) with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Place the Spekko Long Grain Parboiled White Rice in a large pot with 1½ cups of cold water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil over a high heat. Reduce to a medium heat, cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until cooked and the water has evaporated. Drain off any excess water. *Chef’s Tip: Use 1½ cups of leftover rice!
3. In a large non-stick pan, fry the diced bacon on medium heat for 4-5 minutes until cooked through and crispy. Drain the bacon on a paper towel.
4. Add the bacon and chives to the cooked rice and stir until combined. *Chef’s Tip: Replace with mushrooms for a vegetarian option!
5. Spoon the rice mixture into the quiche dish and smooth it out with the back of a spoon to ensure it covers the entire base of the dish.
6. In a jug, whisk the eggs, cream, pepper and remaining salt together until combined. Pour it over the rice mixture.
7. Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese on top and bake the quiche for 30 minutes until firm and golden with a slight wobble in the centre. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
8. Top the quiche with fresh avocado slices. Chef’s Tip: Hold the avo in one hand and push the pip out from the back with your thumb!
9. Slice the quiche into portions. Serve with a rocket salad and a glass of orange juice and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍