Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: Overnight
1 tin (380g) Nestlé Ideal Evaporated Milk
3 tsp corn flour
¼ tsp each salt and pepper to season
½ cup grated cheese
5 slices (90g) ham, finely chopped
1kg store-bought bread dough, room temperature
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
Serving suggestion: Rosemary sprigs
Tomato pasta sauce
1. Add the Nestlé Ideal Evaporated Milk to a small pot over medium heat, but keep 4 tablespoons of the milk aside for later use.
2. In a small bowl combine ¼ cup of water and the corn flour and stir until dissolved to form a slurry. Add the slurry to the warm evaporated milk and whisk continuously for 5 minutes over medium heat until the mixture has thickened. Remove the pot from the heat and add the salt, pepper, cheese and ham and whisk until a smooth cheese sauce has formed. *Chef’s Tip: Making a slurry ensures a smooth sauce!
3. Pour the ham & cheese sauce into a 14-hole ice tray and freeze for 4 hours until firm or overnight for best results.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C, line a baking tray with baking paper and place a ramekin in the centre of the tray. Lightly grease the ramekin and baking paper with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Divide the dough into 14 equal dough balls. On a lightly floured surface, gently roll each dough ball into 8cm disks with a rolling pin. Add a block of frozen ham & cheese filling to each disk and gently seal the dough around each cube to encase it fully. *Chef’s Tip: Use a clean bottle as a rolling pin!
6. Neatly arrange the stuffed dough balls, seam side-down, closely together around the ramekin to form a ring shape. Brush the dough balls with the reserved Nestlé Ideal Evaporated Milk and sprinkle with chopped rosemary, if using.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through and golden.
8. Allow the bread to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before carefully removing the ramekin.
9. Using a spatula, gently lift the bread ring from the baking tray and transfer to a serving platter. Serve the tomato pasta sauce in a ramekin in the centre of the bread ring for dipping. Garnish with fresh rosemary and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍