Makes 24 of each variant
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Hands-off time: 45 minutes
¾ tin (300g) Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce
¼ tin (102.5g) Lucky Star Chakalaka Mild & Spicy
¾ cup (94g) grated cheddar cheese
1 tbsp mayonnaise
¼ tsp each salt and pepper
1 roll (400g) puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, whisked
Serving suggestion: Chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
2. Remove the Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce from the tin. Freeze the remaining pilchards and sauce to add to your next fish stew. Using a fork, carefully remove the bones and shred the pilchards into bite-size chunks. *Chef’s Tip: The bones are safe to eat so only remove if preferred!
3. Combine the shredded pilchards with the Lucky Star Chakalaka Mild & Spicy, grated cheddar cheese and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the cheese twists:
4. Unroll the puff pastry and lay it horizontally on a floured surface. Spread enough filling over the bottom half of the pastry to form an even layer, leaving a 1cm border all around. Fold the top half of the pastry over the filling and seal the edges with your fingers.
5. Cut the pastry into 24 strips.
6. Carefully twist each strip about 2-3 times. Arrange the pastries on a baking tray and brush with the whisked egg.
For the pinwheels:
7. Unroll the puff pastry and lay it horizontally on a floured surface. Spread enough filling over the pastry to form an even layer, leaving a 1cm border all around.
8. Gently roll the pastry up, starting from the longest side closest to you. Cut the roll-up into 24 rounds and arrange them on the baking trays. Brush the pastries with the whisked egg.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until golden and crisp.
10. Transfer the pastries to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
11. Garnish the pastries with chopped parsley and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍