Hands-on time: 2 hours
Hands-off time: 40 minutes
1 packet (1kg) vanilla cake mix
6 large eggs
1½ cup oil
2 cups milk
7 slabs (150g each) Cadbury Dairy Milk Butterscotch & Crushed Almond Chocolate
1⅓ cups cream
1½ cups green vermicelli sprinkles
¼ cup mixed green, red & white vermicelli sprinkles
1 packet (200g) Cadbury Whispers Snowballs
1 packet (100g) Cadbury Santas & Reindeers
*Microwave cooking times may vary due to wattage; use the timings below as a guide.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 30x20cm baking tray with high sides.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the store-bought vanilla cake mix with eggs, oil and milk until a smooth batter has formed. *Chef’s Tip: Use your favourite vanilla bake mix and follow the instructions accordingly!
3. Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and bake for about 40 minutes or until cooked through. Use a skewer to test.
4. Once baked, allow the cake to cool completely. *Chef’s Tip: It will be easier to slice a cooled cake!
5. Prepare the chocolate ganache by chopping the Cadbury Dairy Milk Butterscotch & Crushed Almonds Chocolates into small pieces. Heat the cream in a microwave-safe bowl for about 1 minute until just hot.
6. Add the chopped chocolate to the hot cream and allow the mixture to stand for 1 minute. Whisk the mixture until a silky smooth ganache has formed. Allow the ganache to cool in the freezer for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally until thickened.
7. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the edges off the cake to ensure each side is neat and even. Slice the cake in half to form two 15x20cm pieces of cake. Carefully slice across the width of the cake to form 4 thinner 15x20cm pieces of cake. Set aside until needed.
8. Spread a thin layer of chocolate ganache over a large clean chopping board. Generously sprinkle the green sprinkles over the ganache to form the grass component of the house.
9. Place 1 rectangular piece of cake, off-centre of the board, to form the base of the house. Generously spread about ¼ cup of ganache over the top of the cake layer. Add the remaining pieces of cake, layering with ganache in between.
10. Spread the remaining ganache over the top and sides of the cake, smoothing the sides with a pastry scraper.
11. Stick the Cadbury Whispers Snowballs on the edges of the top of the cake as decoration. *Chef’s Tip: The whispers should easily stick to the ganache if working quickly!
12. Carefully cut 19 Whispers in half using a small, sharp knife.
13. Stick 6 Whisper halves with the flat side against the ganache, 2 vertical pillars of 3, on the front of the house to form a rectangular door. *Chef’s Tip: Alternatively, stick the whole Whisper onto the ganache!
14. Stick 4 Whisper halves with the flat side against the ganache, 2 rows of 2, above the door on either side to form windows. Repeat this on all sides of the house, ensuring there are 2 windows on each side of the house.
15. Generously sprinkle the mixed sprinkles onto the roof of the house.
16. Stick 4 reindeers from the Cadbury Santas & Reindeers packet on the roof to form a line of reindeers.
17. Place a Santa in front of the house as well as 2 reindeers.
18. Serve the Chocolate House Cake over the festive season and ENJOY! *Chef’s Tip: Store for up to 3 days in the fridge!