Hands-on time: 40 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour
2 cups White Star Quick Super Maize Meal
3 tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
350g beef mince
2 tsp tomato paste
1 cup beef stock
1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
½ tsp each salt and pepper
¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
Serving suggestion: Parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 12-hole muffin tin with non-stick spray.
2. Bring a large pot with 2 cups of salted water to the boil. Mix another 2 cups of water with the 2 cups of White Star Quick Super Maize Meal to form a slurry. Gradually add the maize meal paste to the boiling water while stirring. Cover the pot with a lid. Bring to the boil and cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. *Chef’s Tip: Reduced cooking time is needed as the White Star Quick Super Maize Meal is partially cooked.
3. Stir through 2 tablespoons of butter and leave the pap to steam for 10 minutes on a low heat, stirring halfway. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. In the meantime, heat a tablespoon of butter in a medium-sized pan. Add the onion and garlic and allow to cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the beef mince and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the tomato paste, beef stock and frozen vegetables to the mince. Allow to simmer on a low heat for 10-12 minutes or until the liquid has thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
7. While the mince is simmering, prepare the pap cases. Scoop 2 heaped tablespoons of prepared pap into each of the muffin holes and press into a cup-form using a spoon, making sure to press it up the sides of the holes as well.
8. Spoon the cooked mince into each of the prepared maize cases, filling to the top.
9. Top each mince cup with the remaining pap, about 1 and a half tablespoons per cup, in order to make lids for the pap-pies. Top each with grated cheese and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Transfer the pap-pies to a platter. Garnish with parsley and serve with a side salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍