Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 40 minutes
1 cup Coca-Cola No Sugar, plus extra for serving
1 cup BBQ sauce
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp corn flour
24 uncooked chicken wingettes and drumettes
½ tsp each salt and pepper, optional
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup seasoned flour
3 cups vegetable oil
1. Add the Coca-Cola No Sugar, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce and corn flour to a small pot, stirring. Place the pot over medium-low heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring in 5-minute intervals. When thickened, set aside.
2. In the meantime, heat a medium pot with 3 cups of oil. *Chef’s Tip: To test if the oil is ready, dip the back of a wooden spoon into the oil. When small bubbles start forming around the wooden spoon, it is ready.
3. Add the chicken to a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and add the buttermilk. Mix until evenly coated. *Chef’s Tip: For more tender chicken, leave the chicken in the buttermilk overnight.
4. Add the seasoned flour to a resealable bag. Drop the buttermilk-soaked winglets into the bag in groups of 4. Seal the bag and shake until they have been coated. *Chef’s Tip: Make your seasoned flour by adding 1 tablespoon of chicken spice to 1 cup of flour.
5. Gently lay the coated wings into the hot oil and fry, a few at a time, for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Ensure to turn them every 2 minutes.
6. Add the hot crispy wings to the thickened, warm Cola glaze and toss them until well coated. *Chef’s Tip: Any leftover glaze can be stored in the fridge and added to stews or used to marinate meat for extra flavour.
7. Serve the wings garnished with coriander alongside a glass of iced Coca-Cola, and ENJOY!