Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Hands-off time: 35 minutes
¼ cup oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
500g lean beef mince
¾ tsp salt
2 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
Serving suggestion: Rice
1. In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Gently fry for about 5 minutes until tender.
2. Add the beef mince and allow it to brown without stirring the mixture. *Chef’s Tip: You know the meat is done browning once it starts to caramelize, becomes golden and develops crispy edges.
3. Stir in the salt and pepper. Stir in the soy sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add 1 cup of water, and the carrots and potatoes.
4. Cover the bredie with a lid and cook for about 25 minutes until the carrots and potatoes are soft and most of the water has evaporated. *Chef’s Tip: Cook the bredie for a few extra minutes if you prefer a thicker sauce.
5. Serve the bredie alongside some rice and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍