Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 50 minutes
1¼ cups White Star Super Maize Meal
¾ cup self-raising flour
½ tsp salt (optional)
1¼ cups plain yoghurt
⅓ cup oil
For the cheesy sweetcorn & onion:
1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup tinned creamed sweetcorn
½ small red onion, finely chopped
For the bacon, spinach & feta:
½ cup diced bacon, pre-cooked
1 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped
⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
For the chakalaka & wors:
½ cup tinned chakalaka
150g pre-cooked boerewors, chopped
2 tsp chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large 6-holed muffin tray with large muffin liners.*Chef’s Tip: A 12-holed muffin tin can be used instead to make 12 medium-sized muffins.
2. In a mixing bowl, sieve the White Star Super Maize Meal, self-raising flour and salt, if using. Stir in the yoghurt and oil.*Chef’s Tip: Alternatively substitute the yoghurt for amasi.
3. Add your chosen flavour’s ingredients to the muffin batter and stir until well combined.
4. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop 3-4 scoops of batter into each muffin liner. *Chef’s Tip: Dip your scoop into warm water to make filling the muffin liners easier.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until risen and golden brown. They are cooked through if a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Serve warm with a generous spread of butter and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍