DOUGHNUT ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
Makes 8 sandwiches
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 6-8 hours
2½ cups cream
1 tin (385g) condensed milk
1½ cups ILLOVO Smooth Chocolate Sauce
3 cups (339g) self-raising flour
½ tsp salt (optional)
1¼ cups double cream plain yoghurt
Oil for frying
Roughly crushed biscuits
1. In a medium-sized bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the cream until medium-firm peaks form, about 3 minutes.
2. Gently fold in the condensed milk and 1 cup of ILLOVO Smooth Chocolate Sauce until incorporated.
3. Transfer the ice cream mixture to a loaf tin and cover with plastic wrap. Place the loaf tin into the freezer for 6-8 hours or overnight for the best result.
4. Sieve the flour and salt (optional) into a large bowl. Add the yoghurt and the remaining ½ cup of chocolate sauce and gently fold it through with a spatula until a dough is formed. On a floured surface, knead the dough by hand for 6-8 minutes, or until smooth. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour, a little at a time. *Chef’s tip: Mixing the yoghurt and sauce together before pouring it into the flour makes incorporating the sauce easier.
5. Roll the dough into a large rectangle, about 1-2cm thick. Dip an 8 cm cookie cutter into flour and cut out 16 doughnut rounds.
6. Heat the frying oil in a medium-sized pot, about 6cm filled. Gently lay the doughnuts into the hot oil and fry until golden brown for about 4-5 minutes on either side. *Chef’s Tip: Dip the back of a wooden spoon into the oil. When tiny bubbles form around the spoon, the oil is ready for frying.
7. Lay the fried doughnuts onto the paper towel to drain off excess oil and allow to cool.
8. Remove the prepared ice cream from the freezer about 3-5 minutes before it’s needed. Scoop a generous ball of the chocolate ice cream and place it onto a chocolate doughnut disc. Place another doughnut disc on top to create a chocolate sandwich. Repeat to create 8 doughnut sandwiches.
9. Roll the edges of the ice cream sandwiches in the roughly crushed biscuits, serve immediately with fresh berries and ENJOY! *Chef’s tip: The ice cream sandwiches can also be rolled in crushed salted peanuts if preferred.
ALL-IN-ONE CHEESEBURGER CUPS
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Hands-off time: 35 minutes
24 slices streaky bacon
⅓ cup ILLOVO Smooth Toffee Sauce, plus extra for the garnish
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
250g lean beef mince
½ cup tomato sauce
⅓ cup breadcrumbs
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Baby pickles, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a 12-holed muffin tray.
2. Drizzle ⅓ cup of ILLOVO Smooth Toffee Sauce into a small bowl. Brush the toffee sauce onto the bacon slices and line the sides of each greased muffin hole with 2 bacon slices.*Chef’s tip: For a pork-free burger cup, line each of the greased muffin tray holes with half a burger bun, gently pressed into the bottom, creating a well.
3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl add the chopped onion, garlic, dried mixed herbs, mince, remaining toffee sauce (about ¼ cup), tomato sauce and the breadcrumbs. Stir until evenly distributed.
4. Scoop 1½-2 tablespoons of the mince mixture into the bacon lined muffin holes and press down firmly to ensure each is compact. Sprinkle grated cheese over each cup.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown and the mince mixture is cooked through. Once baked, remove the cheeseburger cups from the oven and allow them to cool to room temperature in the muffin tray for about 10 minutes.
6. Remove the cheeseburger cups from the muffin tray and arrange on a platter with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
7. Serve the cheeseburger cups topped with sliced baby pickles, an extra drizzle of toffee sauce, and ENJOY!
NO-BLEND TOFFEE FREEZOCHINO
Makes 2 drinks
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 6 hours
4 tsp instant coffee granules
½ cup ILLOVO Smooth Toffee Sauce, plus extra for the garnish
2 cups low fat milk
4 tbsp store-bought whipped cream
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the coffee granules with ½ cup of boiling water and stir until the coffee granules have dissolved.
2. Add the ILLOVO Smooth Toffee Sauce and a ¼ cup of ice-cold water and stir until the mixture is smooth.
3. Pour the toffee sauce mixture into a resealable bag, seal and freeze for about 6 hours or overnight for the best results.*Chef’s Tip: This can be done in an ice tray if preferred. Freezing the mixture can be done days in advance and kept in the freezer until needed.
4. Remove the resealable bag from the freezer. Gently crush the ice block using a rolling pin until a crushed ice consistency is reached. *Chef’s Tip: Don’t crush the ice too finely or it will melt too quickly.
5. Drizzle some of the toffee sauce into the serving glass while swirling to create a dripping design on the inside of the glass. Repeat with another glass.
6. Divide the flavoured crushed ice mixture between the 2 glasses. Pour 1 cup of milk into each glass, over the crushed ice.
7. To garnish, spray about 2 tablespoon of cream onto each drink and drizzle with toffee sauce. Serve immediately with a mint sprig and ENJOY! *Chef’s Tip: If using fresh cream, whip up a 1/4 cup to divide between the two glasses.
CHILLI CHOCOLATE CHICKEN
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 50-55 minutes
½ cup ILLOVO Smooth Chocolate Sauce
½ cup tomato sauce
½ tsp each salt and pepper
1 tbsp chicken seasoning
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
8 (900g) medium chicken cuts
Citrus green salad
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a large baking dish.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, add the ILLOVO Smooth Chocolate Sauce, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, chicken spice, chilli powder and mixed herbs. Stir well for a thick, smooth marinade.
3. Add the chicken pieces to the chocolate marinade and stir to coat evenly. *Chef’s Tip: If time allows, refrigerate the marinated chicken for 30 minutes for maximum flavour.
4. Arrange the marinated chicken pieces in the prepared dish, skin-side facing up.
5. Brush the remaining marinade generously over each piece of chicken.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is caramelised. Spoon or brush the juices over the chicken pieces every 20 minutes. *Chef’s tip: The chicken can also be braaied for 45 minutes to 1 hour and the remaining marinade can be brushed onto the chicken as a basting at 15 minute intervals throughout its cooking.
7. Serve the chicken while it is still hot alongside a fresh citrus salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍