Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 40 minutes
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tin (400g) Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, plus extra for serving
¼ cup (56g) butter
½ cup (62g) cake flour
2 cups milk
2 cups (250g) grated cheddar cheese
15 sheets dried lasagne
Leafy green salad
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 30x20cm medium square ovenproof dish.
For the pilchard bolognaise:
2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook until softened, stirring regularly.
3. Add the pilchards to a bowl and flake them with a fork. *Chefs Tip: Debone the pilchards if preferred, although pilchard bones are safe to eat.
4. Add the pilchards and tinned tomatoes to the softened onions. Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and reduced. Snip the basil leaves with kitchen scissors into the sauce and stir through before removing the pot from the heat. For the white sauce:
6. To a medium-sized pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat, mix in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
7. Stir in the milk, a splash at a time, until you have a smooth white sauce with no lumps.
8. Bring to a boil, and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring, until thickened before removing from the heat. Stir through 1 cup of grated cheese and season to taste.
For the lasagne sheets:
9. Fill a large dish with boiling water and place your lasagne sheets in the bowl for 3-4 minutes before draining. *Chef’s Tip: Don’t overcrowd the dish with too many lasagne sheets.
10. To assemble the lasagne roll-ups, spread a small amount of white sauce over each lasagne sheet, spoon some pilchard sauce into the centre and roll up neatly.
11. Arrange the roll-ups in the prepared dish, seam-side down. Pour over the remaining white sauce. 12. Sprinkle over the remaining grated cheese and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling at the edges.
13. Serve alongside a fresh green salad and ENJOY!