CREAMY BILTONG DIP
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
1 tub (250g) plain fat free chunky cottage cheese, room temperature
¼ cup NESTLÉ Dessert & Cooking Cream
2 tbsp MAGGI Lazenby Worcestershire Sauce Original
2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
1 tbsp peach chutney
½ cup thinly sliced lean biltong, finely chopped
Serving suggestion: Regular plain salted tortilla chips, for dipping
1. Whisk the cottage cheese, NESTLÉ Dessert & Cooking Cream, MAGGI Lazenby Worcestershire Sauce Original, chives and peach chutney together in a medium mixing bowl. *Chef’s Tip: Replace the chutney with sweet chili sauce if you like a bit of chili in your dip.
2. Add the biltong and stir until combined. *Chef’s Tip: Replace the sliced biltong with 1⁄4 cup of biltong powder, if preferred.
3. Spoon the dip into a serving bowl and serve with the tortilla chips on the side for dipping and ENJOY!
Hands-on time: 35 minutes
Hands-off time: 25 minutes
13 slices white bread
½ cup NESTLÉ Ideal Evaporated Milk
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp bobotie spice
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
500g beef mince
1 tbsp chutney, plus extra to serve
1 tbsp sultanas (optional)
1 tsp each salt and pepper, to season
3 large eggs
1. Place one slice of bread in a bowl and add ¼ cup of the NESTLÉ Ideal Evaporated Milk on top. Set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the bobotie spice, turmeric and onions and fry for 1 minute until tender.
3. Add the garlic and beef mince and brown for 10 minutes.
4. Squeeze the excess milk from the bread and set the milk aside for later use. Add the soaked bread, chutney and sultanas to the mince mixture and cook for another minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set the filling aside to cool for 10 minutes while you prepare the bread roll.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
6. Cut off the crusts from the remaining 12 bread slices. *Chefs Tip: Crusts can be placed in a resealable bag and frozen to use for croutons or breadcrumbs.
7. Place a large sheet of baking paper on the counter. Lay the crustless slices of bread next to each other on the paper in a 4x3 formation with the sides overlapping slightly. Use your finger to press the overlapping edges down firmly then roll over the whole shape with a rolling pin to seal the slices together.
8. Whisk the eggs, remaining NESTLÉ Ideal Evaporated Milk and the milk used for the soaking of the bread together until smooth. Brush the surface of the bread with half the egg mixture. *Chef’s Tip: Seal any overlapping edges again by pressing with your fingers, if needed.
9. Spoon the bobotie beef mixture over the bread in an even layer. Brush over the beef again with a layer of the egg mixture.
10. Pick up the edge of the baking paper and use it to help you roll the bread with the filling inside.
11. Place the roll on the prepared baking tray and brush with the remaining egg mixture.
12. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
13. Slice into 8 portions. Serve with a dollop of chutney and a green salad on the side and ENJOY!
NO-BAKE GRANADILLA CHEESECAKE SQUARES
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Hands-off time: 4 hours
1 box (40g) granadilla flavoured jelly powder
12 (100g) coconut biscuits
3 tbsp margarine, melted
1 tub (250g) smooth plain fat free cottage cheese, room temperature
1 cup low fat plain yoghurt
¼ tin (96.25g) NESTLÉ Full Cream Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup granadilla pulp
1. Grease a square baking dish (20cm) with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Pour the jelly into a medium bowl and add ⅓ cup of boiling water. Stir to dissolve and set aside to cool while you prepare the rest.
3. Place the biscuits in a resealable bag and crush them until fine using a rolling pin. *Chef’s Tip: Finely grind the cookies in a food processor, if preferred.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the biscuit crumbs with the melted margarine and mix until well coated. Spoon it into the baking dish, pressing down firmly to form the base of the tart. Refrigerate until needed.
5. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the cottage cheese for 10 seconds until smooth. Add in the yoghurt, NESTLÉ Full Cream Sweetened Condensed Milk and lemon juice and beat for 30 seconds until combined.
6. Stir 3 tablespoons of the mixture in with the cooled jelly liquid and mix until smooth.
7. Using the hand mixer, mix the jelly mixture in with the cheesecake mixture.
8. Spoon the cheesecake mixture over the cookie base and smooth out the top using a spatula.
9. Add dollops of the granadilla pulp on top and use a wooden skewer to ripple it into the cheesecake mixture.
10. Refrigerate the cheesecake for 6-8 hours or overnight for best result.
11. Cut into squares, garnish with some mint leaves and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍