Hands-on time: 35minutes
Hands-off time: 2 hours
1 (340g) store-bought vanilla sponge cake
2 cups icing sugar
⅓ cup (75g) butter, melted
75ml Rose's Passion Fruit Flavoured Cordial
75ml Rose's Watermelon Flavoured Cordial
75ml Rose's Blueberry Flavoured Cordial
2 drops of yellow food colouring
2 drops of pink food colouring
2 drops of blue food colouring
2 cups desiccated coconut
For the cake:
1. Cut the cake into 4cm squares and set aside. *Chef’s tip: the offcuts can be frozen and used to make trifle.
For the icing:
2. Add the butter to a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds or until completely melted. Add the icing sugar and use an electric whisk to mix the icing until smooth. Divide the icing into 3 small mixing bowls.
3. Add the passion fruit cordial to one of the bowls of icing and microwave for 1 minute. Add the food colouring and mix until well combined and desired colour is achieved. Repeat this step with the other two cordials. *Chef’s tip: Use your favourite Rose's cordial to flavour your cake bites, or make all 3 like us!
4. Add the desiccated coconut to a large tray.
5. Use two forks to lower each cake bite into the icing mixture and roll it around so that it is coated evenly. Alternate dipping the cake bites between the different icing flavours. *Chef’s tip: If the icing becomes too thick, place it in the microwave for 15 seconds to bring it back to a runnier consistency.
6. Transfer it to the coconut tray and roll the cake bites around to cover it evenly on all sides. Repeat this process with the remaining cake bites. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until ready to serve.
7. Remove the cake bites from the fridge, serve alongside a cup of tea and ENJOY!