Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 95 minutes
1 cup Selati Golden Brown Sugar
½ cup tomato sauce
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp each salt and pepper, to season (optional)
⅓ cup (75g) butter, cold
1 large (1.3kg) uncooked whole chicken
1 tbsp chicken spice
1 large pepper, roughly chopped
1 large onion, roughly chopped
Spring onions, thinly sliced
Steamed green vegetables
1. Add the Selati Golden Brown Sugar, ½ a cup of water, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, if using, to a medium-sized pot. *Chef’s Tip: Peri-Peri spice can be added to make a spicy BBQ sauce.
2. Simmer the ingredients over medium heat until a thick, fragrant sauce has formed, about 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and whisk in the cold butter. When melted, set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. *Chef’s Tip: The butter gives the sauce a silky, creamy texture.
3. Preheat your oven to 180°C and lightly grease a 30cm baking dish with non-stick spray.
4. Lay the chicken into the baking dish and season both sides with chicken spice. Generously pour heaped tablespoons of the prepared BBQ sauce over the chicken and use a pastry brush to spread it evenly over both sides.
5. Add the chopped pepper and onion around the chicken before covering the dish with foil. Roast the chicken for about 35 minutes.
6. Carefully remove the dish from the oven and discard the foil. Baste the chicken in more BBQ sauce and roast for 15 minutes or until browned and crispy. *Chef’s Tip: Ensure to use a clean pastry brush when basting the cooked chicken.
7. Serve the chicken garnished with spring onions alongside the peppers, onions, steamed vegetables, coleslaw and more BBQ Sauce and ENJOY! *Chef’s Tip: Any leftover sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.