Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Hands-off time: 5 hours
1 sheet (400g) store-bought puff pastry, thawed
¾ tub (750ml) Ultra Mel Vanilla Flavoured Custard
2 packets (150g each) white marshmallows
Serving suggestion: Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, non-fan assist, and line a baking tray with baking paper. *Chef’s Tip: Grease the baking paper using non-stick spray.
2. Roll the pastry slightly until it is about 0.5cm thick. Neaten up the edges by trimming them. Slice the pastry sheet in half vertically, ensuring that the sheets are the exact same size, about 15x24cm. Place the 2 sheets on the prepared tray and use a fork to pierce the pastry all over. Place another sheet of baking paper over the pastry and then top with another tray. *Chef’s Tip: The extra tray will add weight on the pastry to ensure it doesn’t puff up too much during baking.
3. Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and cooked. Carefully transfer the pastry sheets to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. In a large heatproof bowl, combine the Ultra Mel Vanilla Flavoured Custard with the marshmallows and microwave for about 5 minutes, whisking in 1 minute-intervals until melted and smooth.
5. Place plastic wrap directly onto the custard in the bowl to prevent a skin from forming and allow to cool in the fridge to thicken slightly, about 1 hour.
6. Line the base and sides of a baking dish, about the size of the pastry (15x24cm), with baking paper. Place 1 pastry sheet in the base of the dish. Top with the prepared custard and spread in an even layer using a spatula. Place the second pastry sheet on top, pressing down gently.
7. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until set.
8. When set, remove the custard square from the dish, using the baking paper to assist. Dust generously with icing sugar and carefully slice into squares without adding too much weight onto the pastry.
9. Arrange the squares neatly onto a serving platter and garnish with fresh berries. Serve and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍