Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 10 minutes
3 cups (375g) cake flour
2 tbsp Royal Baking Powder
½ tsp salt, to season (optional)
1½ cups double cream plain yoghurt
3 cups filling, of choice
1. Prepare the braai for direct cooking over medium-high heat (180-200°C) and brush the cooking grates clean. *Chef’s Tip: Alternatively, bake the roosterkoek in the oven!
2. Make the dough by sieving the flour, Royal Baking Powder, and optional salt in a mixing bowl and mixing through the yoghurt. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead for 4-5 minutes until a smooth dough ball has formed. *Chef’s Tip: Avoid over-kneading the dough for a soft roosterkoek!
3. Divide the dough into 8 evenly shaped balls. Using a floured rolling pin, flatten the balls into 12cm discs.
4. Carefully fill each disk with about 2 tablespoons of the filling of choice and enclose each disk to form stuffed dough pockets. *Chef’s Tip: Use your favourite South African-inspired flavours!
5. Place the dough pockets on the prepared braai (medium heat) and grill for about 5 minutes on each side until the dough is cooked and slightly charred.
6. Serve immediately with your favourite braai sides and ENJOY!