Makes 1 large bake
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 10 minutes
1 cup White Star Quick Super Maize Meal
½ tsp salt
2 (30g) tbsp butter
3 ½ cups (250g each) cheddar cheese, grated
½ tin (200g) chakalaka
Serving suggestion: Chopped fresh coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a large baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. Bring a large pot with 2½ cups of water and ½ a teaspoon of salt to the boil. Mix another cup of water with 1 cup of White Star Super Maize Meal to form a slurry. Gradually add the maize meal slurry to the boiling water while stirring with a wooden spoon.
3. Cover the pot with a lid and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
4. Add butter and 1½ cups grated cheese to the pap and stir until combined.
5. Transfer the cheesy pap to the greased baking tray, pressing it down with the back of a spoon to flatten the layer. Evenly spoon on the chakalaka and sprinkle the remaining cheese over.
6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
7. Serve hot alongside your braai meal and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍