Makes 12 Hands-on time: 20 minutes Hands-off time: 20 minutes INGREDIENTS 1 cup SAFARI Pecans Raw 2 large eggs ½ cup canola oil ⅓ cup light brown sugar ⅔ cup buttermilk 1⅓ tsp MOIR’S Vanilla Essence 1 cup finely grated carrot 2 cups SASKO Self-Raising Wheat Flour 2 tsp allspice ½ tub (115g) full-fat cream cheese, softened ⅓ cup icing sugar 1½ tsp milk Serving suggestion: Mini eggs METHOD 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and cut a sheet of foil into 12 squares that are 15x15cm in size. Place the foil over your index finger, press down to wrap the foil around your finger and bring up the sides to form a doughnut-like shape. Carefully remove the foil from your finger and press it into the muffin hole in the tray with the high centre part poking up. Repeat until all 12 holes are filled. Spray the doughnut moulds with non-stick spray and set aside until needed.
2. In a clean pan over a medium-low heat, lightly toast the SAFARI Pecan nuts for 2-3 minutes, being sure to keep an eye on it. Allow the nuts to cool before roughly chopping them. *Chef’s Tip: Dry roasting the nuts brings out their flavour!
3. In a large bowl, add the eggs, canola oil, light brown sugar, buttermilk and 1 teaspoon MOIR’S Vanilla Essence.
4. Use an electric hand beater to whip the ingredients together until creamy. *Chef’s Tip: Yoghurt can be used as an alternative for buttermilk!
5. Add in the grated carrot and chopped pecan nuts and use a spatula to mix until combined. *Chef’s Tip: Keep aside a tablespoon or 2 of the chopped nuts for the garnish.
6. Sieve the SASKO Self-Raising Wheat Flour and allspice into the bowl and gently fold until just combined.
Spoon the batter into a piping bag with a medium round nozzle. Pipe the batter into the doughnut moulds until half-way filled. *Chef’s Tip: You can use a zip seal bag with the corner cut off if you don’t have a piping bag!
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the doughnut comes out clean.
8. Allow the doughnuts to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully lifting each one up, using the highest point of the foil to assist. Carefully remove the foil from the doughnuts and place them onto a cooling rack.
9. To make the glaze for the doughnuts, add the cream cheese and icing sugar into a medium-sized bowl and whisk together until smooth. Add the milk and the remaining ⅓ teaspoon of vanilla essence and whisk until smooth and silky.
10. Dip the top of each doughnut into the cream cheese glaze and allow the excess to drip off before turning them over onto a platter. To garnish, sprinkle over the extra chopped pecan nuts and finish off with 3 mini eggs each and allow to set.
11. Place the doughnuts in a basket lined with clean paper towel. Sprinkle any leftover mini Easter eggs into the basket, serve and ENJOY! *Chef’s Tip: These doughnuts are the perfect Easter gift!
Planning to try this? If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍