Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Hands-off time: 20 minutes
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
¼ cup milk
¼ tsp each salt and pepper, to season
1 tin (400g) Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
4 tbsp (56g) butter
½ onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tin (410g) Lucky Star Chakalaka Mild & Spicy
½ cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Serving suggestion: Coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C with fan assist.
2. In a medium-sized pot, add the cubed potatoes to boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes until tender. Drain the potatoes well before adding 3 tablespoons of butter, the milk and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, to taste. Mash with a potato masher or fork until soft, creamy and free of lumps. Set aside for assembling later.
3. Remove the Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce from the tin and carefully remove the bones using a fork. *Chef’s Tip: It is not necessary to remove the bones as they are safe to consume!
4. In a medium-sized pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and the onions and sauté for 3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 10 seconds. Add the deboned pilchards and their sauce, Lucky Star Chakalaka Mild & Spicy and frozen mixed vegetables to the pan. Simmer for 5-8 minutes, uncovered.
5. Transfer the pilchard filling to a 20cm square baking dish. Carefully add the creamy mashed potato over the pilchard filling and spread the mash evenly with the back of a spoon.
6. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the mashed potato layer and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese has lightly browned and crisped.
7. Once baked, garnish the cottage pie with the freshly chopped coriander. Serve with a side salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍