Makes 4 toasties
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 55 minutes
2 tbsp (30ml) oil
2 cups Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Long Grain White Rice
⅓ cups plain yoghurt
¼ tsp salt and pepper, to season
½ tin chakalaka
¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a large square ovenproof dish with greaseproof paper, leaving some paper hanging over the sides. Spread 1 tablespoon of oil onto the greaseproof paper.
2. Add the Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Long Grain White Rice to 3 cups of salted water in a medium pot. Bring to the boil, uncovered. Reduce the heat to a low, cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes until soft.
3. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to steam for a further 5-10 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff the grains lightly with a fork and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.
4. Add the yoghurt and eggs to the cooled rice and mix to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Spoon half of the rice mixture into the lined dish and flatten to form a thin base, around 2cm thick.
6. Generously cover the rice layer with chakalaka and grated cheese, ensuring the base is evenly covered.
7. Cover with the remaining rice and gently press down to flatten the top. Spread 1 tablespoon of oil over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes until the rice is golden brown.
8. Remove the dish from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the dish before removing the baked sandwich and cooling for a further 10 minutes.
9. Cut the cooled sandwich into quarters. Serve and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍