Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour 10 minutes
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
400g beef mince
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cube KNORROX Beef Flavour Stock
1 cup mixed frozen vegetables (corn, carrots, and peas)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp (14g) butter
2 tbsp KNORROX All-In-One Spice
Serving suggestion: Side salad.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a shallow baking tray with greased baking paper.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft.
3. Add the garlic and fry for a further 30 seconds until fragrant.
4. Turn the heat up to high and add the mince. Stir and allow to caramelize.
5. Stir in the tomato paste.
6. Dilute a cube of KNORROX Beef Flavour Stock in 1 cup of hot water. Pour the prepared stock into the mince and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until the mince is cooked through.
7. Add the frozen vegetables and allow to simmer until the liquid has reduced completely. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
8. Sprinkle 1 cup of the grated cheddar cheese over the surface of the baking tray and set aside.
9. Rinse the cut potatoes and put them in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 1 cup of water and cover the bowl with a microwave-safe lid.
10. Microwave the potatoes on high for 20-23 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Toss them halfway through.
11. Remove the bowl from the microwave using oven mitts and drain any remaining water.
12. Add KNORROX All-In-One Spice, butter and remaining cheese to the hot potatoes and mash well.
13. Spoon the mashed potatoes onto the baking tray over the cheese layer and spread evenly.
14. Bake the mashed potato layer for 20-22 minutes or until lightly golden.
15. Allow to cool on a cooling rack and turn the oven to the grill setting.
16. Spread the cooled mince mixture over the surface of the mashed potatoes, leaving a 2cm border at the edges.
17. Starting at the long edge and using the baking paper to assist, carefully roll the layer of mash around the filling like a Swiss roll.
18. Return to the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden and slightly crispy.
19. Slice the cheesy cottage pie roll-up into generous portions, serve with a side salad and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍