Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Hands-off time: 2 hours
2 cups (250g) cake flour
2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
¾ cup (75g) cocoa powder
2 tsp Royal Baking Powder
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
½ cup cream
3 slabs (80g each) Bournville Dark Chocolate
Serving suggestion: Mixed berries
*Microwave cooking times may vary due to wattage; use the timings below as a guide.
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC on fan-assist and grease and line the base of a 23cm springform cake tin.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, Royal Baking Powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until combined.
3. Add the milk, vegetable oil and eggs and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup of boiling water and mix until a smooth cake batter has formed. *Chef’s Tip: Avoid over-mixing for a light & fluffy cake!
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin and bake for about 1 hour until cooked through. *Chef’s Tip: When a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, the cake is ready!
5. Once baked allow the cake to cool completely. Once cool, slice the top of the cake to form an even layer, if necessary. *Chef’s Tip: Cooling the cake will prevent the ganache from melting!
6. In a large microwavable bowl, add the cream and heat for 1½-2 minutes until just hot, without boiling. Break the Bournville Dark Chocolate into pieces, adding it to the warm cream. Allow the chocolate and cream to stand for 1 minute before whisking into a smooth and silky chocolate mixture.
7. Add the mixture to the freezer for about 2-3 minutes, whisking every minute, until a spreadable ganache is achieved.
8. Carefully flip the cake over onto a cake stand and generously spread the ganache beautifully over the top of the cake. Decorate with berries, slice and ENJOY!