Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Hands-off time: 1 hour 10 minutes
16 slices white bread
3½ cups (875ml) milk
2 XL eggs
¼ cup (60ml) honey
3 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp vanilla essence
1 cup double cream vanilla yoghurt
1 punnet (250g each) fresh mixed berries
½ cup (150g) Nutella Ferrero Chocolate Spread
Serving suggestion: Toasted nuts, of choice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Using foil, create 3x20cm homemade cake tins. Roll a 20x15cm aluminium foil rectangle three times, pressing flat to a 20x5cm thick strip. Fold the strip of foil by connecting the corners of the strip to create a circle. Repeat the process twice more to create 2 more foil rings. Place the 3 cake rings on a large baking tray, line your cake tins with baking paper and grease with non-stick spray. *Chef’s Tip: You can also use 3x20cm cake tins, if you have.
2. Cut the white bread into slices that are 5cm in width. *Chef’s Tip: Reduce food waste by using stale bread!
3. Pour the milk into a large, shallow dish. Crack the eggs into the milk. Add in the honey, cornflour, cinnamon and vanilla essence. Whisk together until combined. *Chef’s Tip: This custard can be made the day before to save time!
4. Work in batches to soak the bread by dipping each slice into the whisked egg custard until just fully soaked for about 5 seconds on each side.
5. Layer the soaked bread into the prepared foil cake tins, fitting them together like a puzzle. Repeat with the remaining cake tins until there are two layers of bread in each tin, evenly distributing the 16 bread slices.
6. Bake the French toast cakes for 18-20 minutes, or until golden and the custard has set. Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to allow to cool to room temperature.
7. Place one layer of the cooled French toast cake on a large serving platter. Spoon ½ of the yoghurt on top and spread across the layer. Sparsely layer ½ of the berries on top. Place the second layer of the French toast cake over the berries.
8. Spoon the Nutella Ferrero Chocolate Spread over the second French toast cake layer, using an offset spatula to evenly spread the chocolate. Place the remaining layer of toast cake over the chocolate spread. Spoon the remaining yoghurt layer on top and layer with the remaining berries on top.
9. Top with the toasted nuts and cut into even slices. Serve with tea and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍