Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 20 minutes
15 slices SASKO Low GI All-In-One White Bread
7 slices shoulder bacon 3 tbsp butter
⅓ cup diced red pepper
½ cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped baby spinach
½ tsp each salt and pepper, to season
1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
Fresh coriander sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Neatly remove the crusts from the SASKO Low GI All-In-One White Bread slices. *Chef’s Tip: Freeze the crusts in a zip-seal bag to make croutons or breadcrumbs!
3. Using a rolling pin, roll out each crustless bread slice, creating a square shape. Set aside.
4. Fry the bacon in a pan over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until slightly crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and allow to cool. Dice the bacon into smaller pieces and set aside.
5. Add a tablespoon of butter to the same pan and sauté the peppers for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add in the mushrooms and spinach and sauté for a further 4-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
6. Add the cooked bacon bits and grated cheese to the pan, gently mixing with the vegetables to combine.
7. Lightly wet your finger with water and brush over the edges of the bread slices. Place 2 tablespoons of the cheesy bacon filling onto one half of each slice of bread. *Chef’s Tip: Try not to overfill the bread pockets.
8. Bring one corner over the other, covering the filling and pinch the sides together to make a seal, forming each one into a triangle. *Chef’s Tip: Use a fork to seal the edges perfectly!
9. Arrange the bread pockets on the baking tray. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and brush over the bread pockets. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and slightly crispy. Allow to slightly cool before serving. *Chef’s Tip: Alternatively, stack in a container and line each single layer with baking paper in between. Freeze to bake off later!
10. Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs, serve immediately with tomato sauce and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍