Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Hands-off time: 20 minutes
3 cups SASKO Self Raising Flour, sifted
1½ cups plain yoghurt
¼ cup (56g) butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 pack (100g) Safari Almonds Flaked, plus extra for garnish
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
2 tsp Moir’s Almond Flavoured Essence
Cup of tea
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large 32x24cm rectangular baking tray with baking paper.
For the dough:
2. Add the flour and yoghurt to a large mixing bowl and use a spatula to mix until the dough comes together.
3. Tip the dough onto a floured surface. Knead for 10-12 minutes until smooth.
4. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about 36cm x 20cm. Use a pastry brush or a spoon to spread the butter, leaving a 1cm border around the edges.
For the filling:
5. Sprinkle over the sugar, ground cinnamon and flaked almonds. Use both hands to press the filling into the butter. *Chef’s tip: This ensures that the filling sticks to the dough.
6. Roll the dough into a log and pinch the seam. Use a sharp knife to cut the log into 12 even-sized rolls and arrange them onto the prepared baking tray. Ensure the rolls are slightly spaced out in the tray.
7. Bake for 20 minutes until the rolls are baked and golden brown. *Chef’s Tip: When a skewer is inserted into the centre and comes out clean, the rolls are done.
8. While the rolls are baking, prepare the icing. Add the icing sugar, Moir’s Almond Flavoured Essence and 3 tbsp boiling water to a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside until needed.
9. Once the rolls are baked, remove them from the oven and pour over the icing. Use a spoon to spread the icing over the buns. Garnish with leftover flaked almonds, serve and ENJOY!