Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Hands-off time: 45 minutes
1 cup Selati Golden Brown Sugar
¼ cup (56g) butter
½ cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp chilli flakes
500g uncooked beef mince
2 tbsp BBQ spice
1 tbsp crushed garlic
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1. Add the Selati Golden Brown Sugar, butter, tomato sauce, soya sauce, chilli flakes and ½ cup of cold water to a small pot.
2. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring in 3-minute intervals or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Turn the heat off and allow the sauce to cool for 30 minutes; the sauce will thicken as it cools. *Chef’s Tip: Store the leftover sauce in the fridge to use as a marinade.
3. In the meantime, combine the mince, BBQ spice, crushed garlic and mayonnaise in a large mixing bowl.*Chef’s Tip: Use any minced protein of your choice!
4. Roll the meatballs into 22, 1 tablespoon-sized balls. Arrange the balls onto a tray until ready to cook.
5. Heat a large oiled pan until hot. Lay the meatballs into the hot pan 10 at a time and cook for 3-4 minutes on either side or until they are browned and cooked through. *Chef’s Tip: Don’t overcrowd the pan or, the meatballs will boil instead of fry.
6. Place the cooked meatballs into ½ of the cold sauce and mix until evenly coated. *Chef’s Tip: Freeze the meatballs in an airtight container and defrost when needed.
7. Arrange the meatballs onto a platter before serving them alongside a butternut salad, yoghurt dressing and ENJOY!