Makes: 1 large chicken
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Hands-off time: 90 minutes
¼ cup (56g) butter
¼ cup apricot jam
6 tbsp TABASCO® Sauce
3 tbsp braai spice
1 tsp each salt and pepper, to season
1 (1.5 kg) whole uncooked chicken
Store-bought potato salad
1. Add the butter and apricot jam into a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 20-30 seconds or until the butter is melted.
2. Add the TABASCO® Sauce and stir until smooth. Set the marinade aside until needed.
3. Place the chicken onto a clean cutting board, breast side down, and pat it dry with a paper towel. Use a sharp pair of scissors to cut along both sides of the chicken’s backbone. Tuck the end of the winglets under the skin to stop them from burning. *Chef’s Tip: The backbone can be discarded or used to make chicken stock.
4. Flip the chicken over cut side down. Using the palm of your hand, push the centre of the breast down to flatten the chicken.
5. Generously season both sides of the chicken with braai spice, salt and pepper before brushing ½ of the prepared marinade onto the chicken. Cover the chicken and refrigerate until ready to braai. *Chef’s Tip: This can be done the night before to intensify the flavour.
6. Prepare the braai for direct cooking over medium-low heat (180-200°C) and brush the cooking grates clean. *Chef’s Tip: The chicken can also be cooked in the oven at 180°C for 45-50 minutes.
7. Place the marinated chicken on the braai skin side down. Cook for 40-45 minutes before basting with the remaining marinade and flipping it over to cook for a further 40-45 minutes or until cooked through.*Chef’s Tip: If the butter has hardened, microwave the marinade for 5-10 seconds until melted again.
8. Serve the chicken alongside potato salad and bean salad, and ENJOY!