Serves 9 Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Hands-off time: 50 minutes
¾ loaf (800g) SASKO Low GI Oats & Honey Flavoured White Bread
½ cup butter, softened
½ tsp castor sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
3 tsp ground cinnamon
4 ripe bananas, sliced
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
Serving suggestion: Plain yoghurt
1. Preheat the oven to 170⁰C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Cut the crusts off each slice of the SASKO Low GI Oats & Honey loaf.
3. In a bowl, combine the softened butter, sugar and cinnamon. Mix with a large spoon to form a paste.
4. Spread the cinnamon paste onto both sides of each slice of bread. Arrange three slices of the bread on the base of the loaf tin.
5. Place banana slices onto the bread layer. Alternate between the layers of bread and banana until the top of the tin and finish off with a layer of bananas. Lightly sprinkle the top banana layer with castor sugar to caramelize the bananas during baking.
6. Whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla essence together in a medium bowl. Pour the egg custard over the layered loaf and allow to soak in, about 15 minutes.
7. Place the loaf tin into the oven and bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and caramelized.
8. Allow the loaf to cool slightly, about 10 minutes, before transferring to a cutting board.
9. Slice and serve with a generous dollop of yoghurt and a sprinkle of nuts and ENJOY!
Planning to try this?
If yes, please share your pictures with us on the Foodies Of SA Group on Facebook. We'd LOVE to see it! 😍